Archive for May, 2012

Just Playlists 4.4.1—Fixed Compatibility with Older Android Versions

Friday, May 18th, 2012

I received reviews for 4.4.0 saying that it was crashing on older phones that I believe are running Android 2.1.  I found that sizing album art up to 720×720 was causing crashes once in a while in the Android emulator running version 2.1.  I hope this is what’s causing the end-user problems, because I was able to make the 720×720 size conditional on newer versions of the OS.

I also added the AAC mime type “audio/aacp” that was coming up for one streaming source, though AAC streaming isn’t working right now…something else to look into.

One other change I made in version 4.4.0 that I forgot to mention is that a user contacted me and told me that streaming MP3s off of a cloud-storage site wasn’t working.  It turns out that the “content-type” HTTP header sometimes includes a charset indication after the mime type.  In this case, the “content-type” was being sent as something like “audio/mpeg;utf-8”.  I now remove the charset string before checking the content type.

Just Playlists 4.4.0—More Fixes for Android 4.0/ICS

Sunday, May 13th, 2012

I finally purchased a cell phone running Android 4.0/ICS and so have been able to run JP on it and not just the software emulator.  I found and fixed several problems:

  • Headset buttons were not working.
  • After loading one streaming source, the next one wouldn’t load.
  • Album art was too small for higher-resolution devices.

I’m hoping that I’ve fixed most the bugs so I can move on to some new features.  Time will tell!